Day of Anger makes it's US Blu-ray debut courtesy of Arrow Video. Previously the film was released in Japan with a pretty piss poor looking transfer. Arrow's presentation of the film is a revelation, one which presents the film as immaculate as the day it was shot.
This fantastic 3 disc set (1 Blu-ray, 2 DVDs), features both the original Italian cut and shortened International (US) cut. Both presented in English, with no discernable difference between the look of the two different prints. Rounding out the set are a nice set of extras.
This release was remastered in 2k from the original 35mm Techniscope camera negative, and the results are outstanding. Never before has this film ever looked this good. This may actually be the best looking LVC film on Blu-ray. Film grain is nicely represented, and there is no evidence of any noise reduction or artificial enhancements. Color timing looks good. This film has always had a somewhat warm appearance, and it is faithfully represented here.
Screencaps below (click to enlarge!) -
Below is a comparison between the new Arrow blu-ray, and the previously released blu-ray from Japan. The new Arrow release is superior in both clarity and framing. Click to enlarge to see the difference!
The audio is available in both English and Italian. English subtitles are also available. Overall it sounds exactly how you would expect, and faithfully reproduces the mono soundtrack of the time.
- Interview with screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi
- Gastaldi details how the screenplay is not based on the actual book it is claimed to be. Much of the rest of the conversation is devoted to Sergio Leone's contributions to My Name is Nobody.
- Archival interview with director Tonino Valerii
- This is an interesting piece detailing the production, locations, and casting. Valerii recounts a not-so flattering story about LVC on set
- Interview with Valerii biographer Roberto Curti
- Theatrical Trailers (US and European)
- Television Ads
Reversible cover art gives you the option of displaying the original poster art
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this set to all LVC fans. This is the definitive presentation of Day of Anger.
- FANTASTIC picture quality
- Uncut version of film
- Quality Extras
- Extras from the previous WildEast DVD release are not included in this set (Gemma interviews, alternate title sequences)
Full stats and ordering info-
- Region: A/B
- Language: English, Italian
- Subtitles: English
- Number of discs: 1 blu-ray, 2 DVDs
- Studio: Arrow
- Run Time: 114 minutes (1:53:51) Italian Cut, 86 minutes (1:26:10) International Cut